Fashion & Lifestyle Blogging Tips
Back by huge demand you will be happy to learn I'm bringing back the fashion & lifestyle blog. And creating content along side the behind the scenes posts on a regular basis....If I can remember to shoot the lifestyle part of the content....honestly is the best policy and I screwed up with this one. But let's skip past that shall we! But I'm back to sharing the random beautiful mess of my life, the real life stuff, with the highs and lows. Yes I will be sharing all!
But todays post I want to share some tips if you are thinking about blogging. I get countless messages and emails about the lack of inspiring content that SLB Style used to bring to your day! Dare I say it but I have too! And this made me think that I really needed to do a blog post about what i have learnt over the last 6 years of having various blogs, writing for other blogs and magazines.
Fashion & Lifestyle Blogging Tips
I've seen so many people I know who have had blogs just give up....including me a while back. I gave up for about 6 months and then realised I missed blogging. Having a little break sometimes is better than anything. But my blog has changed name, the demographics have totally changed along with that I and I have no stats. Am I bothered by this.... no, why...well its not about numbers for me its about the people I engage with and blogging needs to be fun and social. Remember that if you are new to blogging. Don't get bogged down in numbers.
- Do it because you want to not because you have to. yes it's good for brands and businesses to blog as Google will see the site have fresh content. But that can't be the only reason you want to blog. You have to fall in love with blogging and that's something only you can decide upon.
- I have seen so many of my blogs whither away and die sadly and the girls who I've admired simply vanish off social media almost altogether for one reason or another. Sometimes its due to them putting so much pressure on their blogs and themselves to be something they are not. But life isn't like that! If you have a day job and can't cope just do less. Don't put so much pressure on yourself.
- Don't worry too much about being like someone else. Do your own thing, but do it so well you will eventually stand out. I'm personally not bothered by standing out as I do it help others. I love to write articles and help with positive mental attitude and mental clarity. Obviously I love fashion, vintage, beauty and I have my own unique weirdness. Some will love it and some won't.
- I've seen bloggers just throw in the towel after years of hard work. It has made me realise that the pressure to be perfect won't ever come to fruition. Don't worry about perfection it's a lost emotion. Focus on your own strengths and write about what you know inside and out.
- I am also getting older (46 soon) and I'm wildly proud of my accomplishments. More to the point I sincerely love my age. Not what it does to the skin, but what time has taught me. It's taught me that you can do what you want and it's ok. So blog about what the hell you like and don't let anyone tell you to do things differently.
- You don't have to blog 7 days a week to feel like your doing your best. Just do your best when you can. Quality not quantity is the key as my husband always reminds me!
- I poured my life into my old fashion and lifestyle blog SLB Style and loved it like a child. It was very popular but something was wrong with my hosting site and it kept crashing, we had thousands of broken links, images got lost with dreaded error 404 kept popping up all over the place (6 thousand of them to be precise) So one of the biggest lessons is do a broken link check every week!
- Stop if you are not loving it, it's that simple! I'm a true believer in the universe and as a regular or old reader you will know that about me! If you see signs that are telling you that you might not be a blogger then don't do it! But good effort for giving it a go!
- I have been blogging again for a while but not delivering the usual beauty, fashion and lifestyle aspects to their full potential for you girls. I really apologies for that and it won't happen again! This leads me to the nest point....Listen to your readers or people you chat with on social media. What do they ask you on a regular basis!
- You must have passion and want to help other people. The passion back for blogging has come form a sincere place.
- I want to be able to look back on my life in a few years time and read my own thoughts on beauty trends, my style, fashion advice, life and career changes. I also have so many amazing things coming up I want to share the advice I'v learnt with you guys.
- Class your readers as friends. Seeing as the response from you about coming back on my Instagram was heartwarming I can't ignore it so you are most defiantly on my pals list!. You guys really want the lifestyle, beauty and fashion side of things to come back....so it is! I was getting so many really lovely comments on fashion threads I post outfits in on Facebook it made me really realise a blog is a very way of having good friends.
- Put as much information in the blogs as possible to enable your readers to obtain the products you talk about. But don't think you will start to earn a fortune fast! this comes with dedication and time. I have so many of you ask me about what I'm wearing, about my makeup looks and places I visit and I hardly ever get freebies. For me it's not about free stuff, its's about advice and professional help. Help that will enable my clients see I know what I'm talking about. And my style posts are all genuine and I'm not persuaded to wear something I don't like just for a blog post!
- If you have been blogging for a while and are serious about it get a good photographer....I cant tell you how important this is. Now this can be harder than you think. I take images for others but when it comes to my blog I have the same issues as most of you. I have to ask my husband and we just need to hope Ian survives and I don't throttle him when he's taking my pictures in the style I photoshoot my clients! Ian isn't the type of photographer to direct. It can cause little discussions in the Bacchus household! I will say no more, but we are working on ways to make the process more fun!!!
- Don't stress over having to buy all new clothes all the time.you really dont have to get into debt having a fashion blog! I won't promise really current outfit posts and neither should you unless you have been blogging for a while and have tons of companies ask you to wear their clothing. And if you are I do hope it's due to the real love of the garments not just for a fast buck!
- Be real....Now I do love a bit of vintage and I cant deal with producing boring gift guides as you can go elsewhere for that, but what you will see from me will be genuine. Me, my world and even pictures of yours truly on a wet and windy day! This is the real me, un-edited and totally 100% back to blogging....3ish times a week!
- Screw the amount of likes on social media, the numbers, the Instagram followers, Twitter hashtag agendas and facebook followers as you need to realise that there are millions of blogs now and it's not about stats when you start. I'm here as a friend not an #AD campaign!