The Style Bible - How To Wear Animal Print
I asked on my Instagram for ideas for fashion blog post and one of the most requested things was how to wear animal print this session. Its so hard to work out the best way of pulling it off without looking like Pat Butcher or Peggy Mitchell! Animal print gets a seriously bad rap and I'm always teased about my total and utter love of the print. And I know its not for everyone but it still is one of the most iconic patterns. And over the decades it’s become my uniform of choice. If I am having a day when I feel particularly overwhelmed and have nothing to wear (every woman will relate) I know that I can reach for the trusted animal print and a red lip to make me feel fierce, sexy and confident. Yep I said the S word right out loud. We all want to feel sexy come on be honest.
Animal print can however look less than classy if worn too heavy. So the key to keeping this print looking classic means learning a few styling rules before you buy or head out the door.
I'm infatuated with these wide leg pants from Pavilion in Winchester and I fully intend on wearing them with trainers and a simple t-shirt very soon. I'm also totally in love with my new Levi's over sized jacket. I never thought I'd be saying this at 46...but the denim jacket is well and truly one of my favourite purchases for my capsule wardrobe. Yes even if it is of the slogan style. I don't really give a hoot! I was going to say shit but though I'd better not!
Anyway have a read of my top 10 tips when thinking about styling up the all too important animal print. It might make you think twice about wearing that PVC jacket you picked up in the sale last year!
The Style Bible - How To Wear Animal Print
- My main tip is keep the outfit classic. By this I mean to make sure its not too over the top and choose garments that have a good drape. Quality items in animal print will last and give you years of pleasure.
- Team the look with an unconventional item such as my slogan denim jacket. Yes it's a bit risky to add a high fashion item into the mix but if well done it make the final statement to the entire look. By adding a some what scruffy jacket to a really polished and possibly safe outfit brings it yelling into 2018. Even a pair of trainers with these beautiful trousers will look phenomenal and oh so cool at any age!
- Keep the essence of the look classy by adding everyday items to bring the print down a notch. Here I've added a very simple black shirt loosely tied in the front.
- Make sure you have the right size. Overly tight animal print screams disaster!
- Keep in mind your colouring and complexion. Too much blonde hair, deep tans and way too much botox will make you look more haggard than you expect. Especially when wearing animal print.
- Keep you makeup simple and avoid false lashes, stick on nails or nail art when adopting this look with garments. Keep everything else really low key.
- If your a little older choose classic shapes and avoid wearing the print close to your face. This will only draw too much attention to a tricky style.
- Avoid wearing or mixing this print from head to toe. This isn't time to mix match prints. A total No no at any age and totally un-sexy. Animal print is classed as sexy and which is, to some extent, why I like it so much. Why should ‘sexy’ be bad? Few of us will never want to wear tight leather trousers or an animal print bustier at least not in daylight hours (thank the lord) God forbid anyone wanting to purchase animal print leather trousers! I just can't abide real leather leggings at the best of times on any age. Especially if someone is over the age of 40. But leopard or animal print is incredibly sensual. It has just the right amount of femme fatale for any woman to wear with confidence day or night.
- If your uncertain about the trend add touches of animal print with things like handbags, scarfs, belts or good quality boots or heels.
- And if your keen to wear the look everyday you can always ask for your nails to have a little design created for you in whatever colours you desire. This is something I awlays tell my clients who come to see me in my private home nail and beauty studio in Winchester!
Check out all the other tips and tricks in the slideshow! Have fun with fashion as its not to be taken too seriously! Life's for making mistakes anyway! If you f@@k it up who gives damn anyway!